The holiday season reminds us to stop and appreciate the people in our lives and the blessings we have. Many families and friends will be gathering tomorrow, and through the weekend, to enjoy good food and time together. While you are taking a break from work please do not take a break from safety awareness. It is easy to forget about safety when we are celebrating and not worried about seemingly safe tasks that we have done before.
One of the favorite things about the holidays is the food that we enjoy. Whether you are preparing turkey, ham, or some other main course, chances are you will be using an oven; and you may leave food out at rain temperature while visiting with family and friends. Safe food handling is important token it a safe and fun weekend.
- Thaw your turkey safely - thawing any type of meat should be done safely. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a safe way to thaw a turkey is "in a sink of cold water that is changed every 30 minutes."
- Oven safety - cooking a turkey or baking a pie? When operating an oven do not leave the house with it on. Unattended foods such as turkeys or pies could overflow in the pan and cause a fire. While they may start off small, left unattended could lead to more serious fires.
- Food handling safety - with friends and family stopping in to say hello, food is often left out at room temperature for a long time. Be sure to cool and store food properly to prevent bacteria from growing. Foods should not stay out at room temperature for more than two hours and it is important to keep hot foods warm and cold foods cool.
- Knife safety when carving the turkey - the kitchen is a common area for cuts and is even more dangerous if you're distracted talking to guests. When handling knives for cutting vegetables and meats, pay attending to what you are doing. If you have young children around, be aware of where you leave your cutting utensils and what is in easy reach of kids and animals.
- Enjoy alcoholic beverages in moderation - know your limits and stick to them. If you are driving be sure you limit you drinking and leave plenty of time between your last drink and when you have to get on the road. Driving home after drinking is not only illegal but could lead to a deadly accident. If you do drink over the limit then get a ride home from a sober, responsible driver. The cost for a taxi is much better than any risk one may take.
We hope you enjoy this weekend and the holiday season with friends and family. We are thankful for our family and friends we are able to work with every day at Mason Construction, Ltd.
Make it a safe Thanksgiving!