Working with industry affiliates is important to us at Mason Construction, Ltd. Safety organizations are especially important to our company as they can help provide information and industry tips to keep our employees as safe as possible. The Houston Area Safety Council (HASC) is one such safety organization.
Since we work throughout Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana, along with other projects around the USA, we work with organizations in those areas. HASC was started in 1990 to provide safety training and support for construction companies. They also offer training in workforce development and United State Department of Transportation Operator Qualification trainings.
According to their website, the HASC’s mission is "building safe workplaces by improving the quality and integrity of the workforce.” When they opened in the early 90’s they had three main objectives:
- to assess and assure a baseline safety comprehension throughout the workforce,
- to provide 'state-of-the-art' records retention, and
- to provide safety training support for contractors and owners who did not possess in-house capabilities.
Now, they work with many industry needs and services such as background screening, substance abuse, contract pre-qualification, occupational medicine, and skill development to name a few. They continue to serve the Texas Gulf Coast and other areas; and membership "is comprised of more than 2700 contractor companies and over 350 owners from the greater Houston Industrial Complex and beyond.”
Some of the training opportunities are:
- Safety, Health, and Environmental Training - General safety training courses are conducted through lectures, videos, hands-on demonstrations, and multimedia computer programs.
- Workforce Development - they offer Workforce Development Training to increase the skill sets for our industry. Classes are structured for beginners, as well as, some validation training for seasoned veterans. They focus training on hands–on tasks with an emphasis on safety, hazard recognition, and proper techniques.
- Site-Specific Orientations - they conduct site-specific training for many petrochemical, refining, and manufacturing facilities across the United States.
- Company-Specific Orientations - they also offer company-specific training for contract company employees. Company-specific courses cover information that is specific to the company's employees and sub-contractors.
- Non-Training - Medical and Fit testing, Company and Replacement Badges and other non-training offerings.
- DOT Pipeline Operator Qualification - they deliver training modules to support the United States Department of Transportation Operator Qualification rule through eWebOQ.
- Personal Development - workplace procedures and etiquette
- Assessments - HASC is an Accredited Assessment Center for the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) and now offers the National Craft Assessment and Certification Program (NCACP).
Check out more about this great organization at their website: http://www.hasc.com/site/default.htm
Make it a safe day!